Volunteering Opportunity – Adviceline
Job title: Adviceline Assessor
You could do this role if you are available to volunteer for 6 hours per week for at least 6 months.
Purpose of role
- To provide an effective and efficient telephone advice service to members of the public.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Assess clients’ problem(s) using sensitive listening and questioning skills.
- Identify key information about the problem including time limits, key dates and any requirement for urgent advice or action (using the Citizens Advice website, scripts and any other diagnostic tools, as necessary).
- Identify and summarise the essence of the problem.
- Establish what the client wants.
- Assess and agree the appropriate level of service, taking into consideration the client’s ability to take the next step themselves, the complexity of the problem and our resources.
- Refer clients appropriately (both internally and externally) to suit clients’ needs following agreed protocols, including making arrangements and informing clients of what to expect.
- Signpost clients appropriately to suit their needs following agreed protocols.
- Provide clients with information & advice appropriate to their individual needs following agreed protocols.
- Record information during Adviceline assessment interviews onto client database.
Research and campaigns
- Identify research and campaigns issues.
- Assist with research and campaigns work by providing information about clients’ circumstances through the appropriate channel.
Personal skills and qualities that an Adviceline Assessor needs:
- A commitment to the aims and principles of the CAB service.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Confident telephone manner
- Being open and approachable.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to quickly sift through information and extract what is relevant.
- Basic mathematical skills, including percentages.
- Respect for views, values and cultures that are different to their own.
- An understanding of why confidentiality is important.
- Competence in using IT.
- A positive attitude to self-development and assessment.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to recognise their own limits and boundaries in the role.
If you are interested please telephone 01744 751380 and ask to speak to Pat Mannix for further details.